Patrol Constable Job Description
Under the supervision of the Platoon Sergeant will provide police response to prevent crime, protect life and property, preserve the peace, enforce and investigate violations of Federal, Provincial and Municipal laws, provide information and guidance to citizens and promote traffic safety.
All sworn members are reminded they are responsible for preserving the peace, preventing offences and discharging all other duties as a Police Officer of the Windsor Police Service to the best of their ability, faithfully, impartially and according to law.
• Remain current on Federal, Provincial, and Municipal laws, crime prevention and investigation techniques and comply with Service directives, memorandums and policies and procedures;
• Be familiar with the Windsor Police Service Business Plan and the stated objectives of the Windsor Police Service;
• Assume an active role in Community Based and Problem Oriented Policing initiatives adopted by the Windsor Police Service;
• Perform general patrol;
• Protect the life and property of citizens;
• Provide emergency service;
• Respond to calls for service;
• Enforce Federal, Provincial and Municipal laws;
• Provide traffic control and enforcement;
• Accident prevention and investigation;
• Investigate crime, provide crime prevention and detect and process offenders;
• Promote and maintain good community relations;
• Determine needs and direct efforts and correct or suppress crime, deal with traffic problems and answer other community policing needs consistent with Problem Oriented Policing principles;
• Gain the appropriate knowledge of the people and the area where they patrol and the impact of each on police service delivery;
• Prepare for and attend court when necessary;
• Prepare and submit detailed duty and investigative notes as required;
• Articulate the justification for the appropriate level of use of force;
• Attend community meetings as required;
• Undertake special projects or assignments as required and report on the results in a timely fashion;
• Remain current on all required technology;
• Attend training as required;
• Perform other duties as assigned.
The above job description outlines the principal function of the job identified and shall not be considered a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in this job.