Special Constable – Detention Unit
Special Constables in the Detention Unit are responsible for the registration, control, movement, safety, security and fingerprinting/photographing of all prisoners in custody in the Detention Unit of Windsor Police Headquarters.
- Remain current and comply with all Service directives, memorandums, policies and procedures;
- Be familiar with the Windsor Police Service Business Plan and the stated objectives of the Windsor Police Service;
- Register all prisoners as directed and maintain the prisoner’s register
- Ensure the safety, welfare and security of all prisoners via closed circuit monitors and direct observation;
- Assist with the movement of prisoners to and from cells, court and county jail as required;
- Conduct searches of prisoners, controlling the receipt and return of property
- Prepare prisoner release documents as required;
- Maintain detention centre and identification room supply inventory and order supplies as needed
- Photograph and fingerprint prisoners pursuant to the Identification of Criminals Act;
- Maintain accurate notebook and submit supplementary reports as required;
- Generate daily prisoner register sheets;
- Maintain, order and distribute prisoner meals at meal times, as required;
- Ensure that no unauthorized persons gain admittance to the cellblock area.
The above job description outlines the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be considered a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
- Must possess a grade 12 graduation diploma or equivalent as recognized by the Ontario Ministry of Education or completed Post Secondary education at an Accredited College or University as an adult student.
- Must have up to one year pre-job experience to develop the skills to work in a team environment;
- Must have a valid Class ‘G’ Ontario Drivers Licence;
- Must possess current First Aid/CPR certificate;
- Must be physically capable of performing position duties and pass PREP test.
- Knowledge of the Criminal Code would be preferred;
- Must have at least 2 years experience in Courtroom or security environment.
- Successful Psychological testing and Background screening are required.
- Must possess a Valid OACP certificate of results, including Valid Hearing & Vision assessments along with completed
fitness logs and daily journals.
- Must successfully complete Pre-interview testing.
- Alternate periods of standing, sitting and searching of prisoners and keyboard use;
- Working in awkward and confined spaces such as HC4;
- Heavy physical exertion less than two hours a day when working with unruly prisoners;
- High intensity for 1 to 2 hours per day.