What is the Autism Registry?
The Autism Registry
is a Windsor Police Service project in partnership with the Autism Services Inc. that promotes communication and gives police quick access to critical information about a registered person with autism. The Autism Registry can provide police with emergency contact information, detailed physical descriptions, known routines, favourite attractions or special needs of the individual with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). This information can assist officers in communicating with, attending a residence of or dealing with an emergency involving an individual with ASD.
Goal of the Program:
The goal of the program is to give police quick access to critical information about a registered individual with ASD in the community in an emergency situation.
How it Works:
- At this time, the Autism Registry is only accessible to those residents who reside within the Windsor Police policing jurisdiction (city limits).
- Access the online Autism Registry report by clicking on the logo above.
- Fill in a series of preformatted screens.
- When complete, review and submit the report.
- Click here for Frequently Asked Questions
- Complete the online registry form
- Once submitted, you will receive a thank you notice which:
- Confirms the registration form is being processed and provides a temporary case number.
- Provides a confirmation that the case is approved and provides a permanent case number.
- Provides the option to attach a picture (face only picture similar to a passport or school picture) to the form by replying to the confirmation email once approved.
- Advises you of the option to place a static cling window decal at your residence and/or on your vehicle, which will alert police that there is an occupant with autism who may not respond to verbal commands and who participates in the registry. These decals will be provided by Autism Services Inc., and it will be the option of the applicant to contact Autism Services Inc. for these resources.
- Register annually:
Annual registration is required to keep your form active. It is the responsibility of the applicant to resubmit the form. It is recommended that you resubmit on the registrant’s birthday to make it easier to remember.
Cheryl Huczel, Adminstrator
Christine Loebach, Asst. Administrator
3600 Curry Ave.
Windsor, ON N9E 2T6
Windsor Police Service
Data Entry Unit
519-255-6700, Ext. 4151